I want to buy an atmospheric filter for my espresso machine, but I don't know what part of the filter I should measure. Should I be measuring the radius from the internal part of the border of the filter or the external part of the ring/border?

Sorry, I tried to express myself as well as I could but I am not familiar with some coffee terminology in English.

  • 1
    Welcome! You could add a picture - that often helps when words don’t.
    – Stephie
    Feb 11, 2020 at 19:05
  • @Stephie Ok. I will when I have more time and I'll add the machine's name as well. Feb 11, 2020 at 19:15
  • 1
    i've never heard of atmospheric filters for espresso machines - what's that supposed to do?
    – ths
    Feb 17, 2020 at 10:01
  • @ths Maybe it isn't called that way in english. It's the same as non presurized filter. Feb 18, 2020 at 11:28
  • i think you might mean "non pressurized portafilter" or "basket". wokelark.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/…
    – ths
    Feb 18, 2020 at 12:10

1 Answer 1


The portafilter sizes are given as the inner diameter of the basket in mm. This is the same as the diameter a tight fitting tamper would have.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.