3

I accidentally put my macchinetta on the stove with no water in it. A few minutes have passed until I realized what I have done, and in the mean time the pot has overheated, started to smell quite badly, and it's bottom has received a (permanent?) brownish hue.

The pot is stainless steel (bialetti venus model), but I don't know what the inner coating is made of. In terms of toxicity, is it safe to continue using it?

migrated from cooking.stackexchange.com Nov 28 '17 at 11:53

This question came from our site for professional and amateur chefs.

  • Hi TheShked, this is something you couldn't know, but we have a sister site which is specifically about coffee, and we send questions about coffee over to them because there you tend to get the better answers. So I am moving your question - this is not a sign you have done anything wrong though. And the answer moves along automatically. – rumtscho Nov 28 '17 at 11:52
3

Yes, it is perfectly okay to overheat stainless steel.

You can clean it by boiling soap water in it. Here's a link

You should replace the seal (the seal should be replaced ever so often anyways).

  • thanks, do you have any idea if the pot has any inner coating from other materials? – TheShked Nov 27 '17 at 12:29
  • @TheShked, the details show it's stainless steel. – BaffledCook Nov 28 '17 at 9:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy