I bought a coffee from Caffè Nero in the UK. It came with this lid:

What do all the letters mean? I'm assuming DECAF could be marked to distinguish a decaf in a large order, but why is it there twice? What about the other letters? What about 19 near the air hole? Why does it say NO LID??


I am pretty sure it says NO TL316 LID. That's the item/stock number for that particular size lid (based on a Google search, also available in black!). There are basically two sets of initials for the same thing Decaf, (C)ream, (S)ugar, (C-S) Cream and Sugar, and then one set has the B for Black. Presumably these could be grease penciled or highlighted on a large order.

I honestly have no idea on the 19. It may be some sort of internal tracking mechanism for manufacturing, because other examples from a Google image search have different numbers there.

  • It could be 19 fluid ounces which is approx 540 ml
    – EdChum
    Feb 2 '15 at 17:07
  • This particular lid will fit 12, 16 and 20 ounce cups. Feb 2 '15 at 17:09
  • @EdChum It was a regular (UK) sized cup. Although it was Monday morning, a pint of coffee at once is still a bit much for me...
    – fredley
    Feb 2 '15 at 17:17
  • The C-S for 'cream & sugar' makes no sense: it would be just as easy to tick/check/encircle both the C and S.
    – Paul Ruane
    Jun 5 '15 at 11:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.