What is the "standard" name for this type of coffee in the various countries (I mean made from these type of machines with the paper filter)?

enter image description here

I have noticed when travelling that in some coffee spots in various countries in Europe, this type of coffee is not available. Unless it has a different naming than I am aware.
Is this called American coffee? Because I know that Americano is a type of espresso so it is not the same

  • You are asking about names in Europe, right?
    – Stephie
    Nov 14, 2015 at 13:41
  • @Stephie:Yes because in US it is just regular coffee
    – Jim
    Nov 14, 2015 at 20:08

2 Answers 2


The drip-type coffee is available in many countries in Europe. A list of names:

  • Filterkaffee in Germany / Austria / Switzerland
  • filterkaffe in Denmark and Sweden
  • filterkoffie in the Netherlands
  • kawa filtrowana in Poland
  • café filtre in France / Switzerland / Belgium
  • café filtro in Spain
  • caffè preperato con il filtro in Italy / Switzerland

Can you see a pattern here: Always a combination of coffee and filter/filtered. The terms are so closely related that if you order "filtered coffee" an attentive waiter should be able to help you even if you don't know the precise term at your destination.

Note that if you order "coffee" without specifying the preparation, you will be served the local "default". This will actually be filtered coffee in many countries of Northern and Central Europe, in Italy, as counter-example, you will get what you'd call "espresso", likewise in Spain or Portugal: small, strong.

Asking for caffè americano will perhaps get you an espresso diluted with hot water in some places in Italy (sources vary whether it's a remenant from WW II or started with international tourism), sometimes caffè all'americana ("coffee American-style") will get you drip coffee. Likewise in touristy areas of Spain, café americano might get you a diluted coffee.

Further north you won't be understood. They will probably direct you to the nearest Starbucks.

Living and travelling in Europe for decades plus some research for the precise terms.

  • What you say matches my experience. What I can not understand is, that if you go to any of these countries that you mention, you will find in the stores for home electronics/appliances a variety of the coffee machines I have displayed in my OP. In a wide variety of brands and are usually the first you see in any of the shelves. But when you try to order such a coffee you get the communication problems that you have pointed out
    – Jim
    Nov 14, 2015 at 17:49
  • @Jim That is easy to explain, but too long for a comment. Shall we meet in chat?
    – Stephie
    Nov 14, 2015 at 17:54
  • 2
    "filter coffee" in the UK too, although many cafes would not have such a machine, which might explain why ordering it isn't possible :) i.e. it's more of a domestic home machine.
    – cdmackay
    Nov 20, 2015 at 1:22
  • The subsequent chat discussion can be found here.
    – Stephie
    Feb 21, 2016 at 20:56

I know this doesn't answer the question, but since it's already been answered...

My boss recently got back from a two-week trip to Italy, where he was unable to order a drink by the name of "Americano." And if they don't know what you're talking about, which was his case, they hand you an espresso.

So it seems that an Americano, regardless of how the name originated, is now an American drink. Not to say that you couldn't order this anywhere in Italy, but just that it was not the norm in the cafes my boss went to.

  • Coffee Americano actually is a name for an espresso variety. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_Americano I have encountered this before
    – Jim
    Nov 14, 2015 at 17:44
  • That was my impression too, but apparently is not the case in every Italian Cafe. At least this is what my boss said after returning from Italy.
    – nateclonch
    Nov 14, 2015 at 20:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.