Europe has the SCAE (Specialty Coffee Association of Europe) which is a non-profit trade association and large community of coffee enthusiasts. They also have established the "Coffee Diploma System" and host networking events.

In the UK, you're able to take courses towards a "SCAE Coffee Diploma". Is there an equivalent association in the US? I've never seen a US standard for coffee training.

1 Answer 1


There is a Specialty Coffee Association of America, and they have a professional development program with certificates. (Also various awards and recognition programs.)

I'd be surprised if there was not some formal parallel in the two trade associations. The SCAE's "about-us" page says: "Together with the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA), we represent the speciality sector on the International Coffee Organization's Private Sector Consultative Board."

The SCAA Chronicle from Oct. 2010 carried a story about a joint venture with SCAE called World Coffee Events, to "develop and manage competitive events on behalf of both organizations."

Added: There is also a Specialty Coffee Association of Japan, established in 2003. SCAE began in 1998, and SCAA in 1982.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.