Coffee Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people interested in all aspects of producing and consuming coffee. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a cheap espresso machine. I grind dark roast beans separately, fill a "double" filter with it, run the espresso machine and won't turn it off until my ~250ml cup is completely filled. I drink it right away, brewed coffee style, without adding anything.

It's not Americano (it's got crema all over it), too much water to be espresso, and to my understanding, Long Black is espresso added to water.

Is this simply, regular brewed coffee with crema?

share|improve this question
I absolutely love this question. It feels very existential. Do we define espresso as that which comes out of an espresso machine? So call it whatever? I guess... and what's crema? – Ed Cooper Feb 25 at 3:47
@EdCooper: It's the thin layer of foam at the top of a cup of espresso. – Lightness Races in Orbit Mar 1 at 11:32
up vote 16 down vote accepted

I'd say that it's a caffè crema which is generally made the way you make your coffee and is about 240 ml. It's about 3 times more water than a normale.

share|improve this answer
In Wikipedia it is said it is common in Belgium. However, I have never heard of that. It is very likely that I have spent my time at the north side of the country. Thanks for the info.è_crema – MT San Feb 24 at 22:16
Honestly, I've never actually been to Belgium; however, I'm really obsessed with crema so I make myself a caffè crema sometimes. I called it an Eli stro because my name is Eli but then I found out it has an actual name. – Eli Sadoff Feb 24 at 22:18

I would also go for caffè crema (more water than a lungo). There is no strict agreement on at how much water does it stop being a lungo and starts being a crema. But I guess "lungo" is more well known around the world, at least on countries where Nespresso is available, since their capsules for long coffees are called "lungo".

Here in Mexico, the waiter / barista might ask you if you want your espresso "corto" (short) or "largo" (long). Corto is the usual espresso size (not ristretto) and largo is about twice the amount of water. This is not an uncommon practice, but not everyone offers it.

Anyhow, just be careful not to be over-extracting. If your coffee beans can handle that amount of water without over-extraction (which results in excessive bitterness because of burned-down oils, and possibly too much caffeine), great. Some beans do, some don't.

Have you tried a traditional americano (shot of espresso + added hot water)? Compare the flavor between both to get a reference on how a "normal" extraction goes on your beans vs. the extended extraction you are currently having.

share|improve this answer
I agree. Additionally, if you don't have a relatively coarse grind Caffè Crema will taste absolutely terrible. – Eli Sadoff Feb 24 at 23:10
So, a coarser grind will give a better Crema? Didn't know that. Will try it. – Alejandro Julien Feb 25 at 18:13

This is called Lungo, Italian for "Long coffee". Typically it is prepared around 150 ml.

More info is here:

share|improve this answer

In Italy this could be asked for by requesting a Caffè doppio (admittedly a bit borderline with a lungo)

share|improve this answer
Doesn't doppio usually refer to a double-espresso, using twice the amount of grounds (and water) than a single/solo? Welcome to Coffee. – hoc_age Mar 1 at 2:52
Thanks for the welcome. The op is actually filling a double filter and using it for 250ml cup. A friend of mine used to drink coffee like this (i'd say probably less than 250 but huge in comparison to my espresso: for me it was a bit too extreme, that's why I noted it) and he explained to barmen like this. I don't know if a specific definition exist, this is admittedly only an anecdote. If it doesn't fit I can remove my answer. – Francesco Mar 1 at 6:18
Sorry, I wasn't clear; I meant that a "standard" doppio is double-grounds, double-water. This is that situation... plus more water put through the grounds. Your answer was short and I was just asking for a bit more clarification, which you gave; now it's more clear; thanks! Doppio wasn't mentioned elsewhere; feel free to leave it (or add to it). Thanks for the clarification! – hoc_age Mar 1 at 13:28

A customer in the store that i work comes every day and buy this. He called it "super lugo". I think it's just a double lugo with extra water (from the grouphead). So you don't loose the taste of the espresso, if you want a kind of filter coffee with espresso taste.

share|improve this answer

It's a caffe crema, more water than a lungo. Simples.

share|improve this answer
Welcome to Stack Exchange. Your answer was already given as one of the other answers so it's not needed to repeat; if you agree, feel free to up-vote the other answer! See more about our format at the help center, or take tour, or see How to Answer for more on our format and what is valued as a good answer. Come back soon! – hoc_age Mar 1 at 13:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.